Monday, April 8, 2013

Douglas Park 4/8

Hi all,

Today after school, my dad and I decided to go to Douglas Park. My dad had reasonable success with birding at Columbus Park (Blue-gray Gnatcatcher was his best bird), so my hopes were high. It started off well with a Pied-billed Grebe, Northern Flicker, and Great Blue Heron in the main part of the park. We then moved on to the sanctuary where we immediately saw 2 Great Egrets and a group of 7 American Coots, 3 Pied-billed Grebes, 3 Lesser Scaup, and 1 Ring-necked Duck. 2 Wood Ducks also then flew over. Here are the Egrets:

As we walked around the sanctuary, we picked up another Great Egret, a bunch of Fox and Song Sparrows, 1 American Woodcock, and 1 Rusty Blackbird! Here are two photos of the Blackbird:

After a lull, I was ready to leave the sanctuary, but my dad wanted to explore a bit more. After a few minutes, he called telling me that he had a Brown Thrasher! I looked to where he pointed, and there it was!

137. Brown Thrasher

An attempt for a better look failed, so we moved back to the main part of the park. Here, we found a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Black-crowned Night-Heron. Overall, we had 37 species, 6 of which were new for the year at Douglas. Here is the full list:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13681334

My next post will be soon, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment