Thursday, June 6, 2013

Magical May

Hi all,

Just because I haven't been posting doesn't mean I haven't birding. It could even be said that I was birding so much I haven't had time to post. Since there are a lot of new birds I need to cover in this post, let's get started right away. Here is a list of all of my yearbirds for April 30-June 5.

176. Piping Plover
Always one of my favorite birds to see. They are just SO fricken cute.


177. Worm-eating Warbler
I had an unprecedented year for these. I saw a total of 4(!!) in Cook this year. The first one was in the evening at North Pond, the next one was at Miller Meadows, and the last one is one of two at Douglas Park!





178. Nashville Warbler
179. Cape May Warbler


180. Gray-cheeked Thrush
181. Chestnut-sided Warbler

182. Cerulean Warbler
183. American Redstart


184. Baltimore Oriole
185. Warbling Vireo
186. Pine Warbler
187. Blue-headed Vireo
188. White-eyed Vireo
189. Veery
190. Black-and-white Warbler
191. Great-crested Flycatcher
192. Least Flycatcher
193. Prairie Warbler

194. Ovenbird

195. Yellow-breasted Chat

196. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
197. Tennessee Warbler
198. Snowy Egret
Ethan spotted this egret far out at Miller Meadows, and while I was getting documentation shots, a Starling harassed it away. It flew right over me and hooked north out of sight.



199. Sedge Wren

200. Golden-winged Warbler


201. Black-throated Green Warbler
202. Bay-breasted Warbler

203. Blackpoll Warbler

204. Northern Parula
205. Blue-winged Warbler
206. Wood Thrush


207. Magnolia Warbler
208. Spotted Towhee
This is a great bird for my year! Ethan was busy on the day of the first one at Montrose, which I got, so we also went to the one in Grant Park.



209. Willet

210. Dunlin

211. Marsh Wren


212. Least Sandpiper
213. Black-throated Blue Warbler


214. Bobolink

215. Wilson's Warbler
216. Yellow-throated Vireo
217. Scarlet Tanager
218. Red-eyed Vireo
While birding at Douglas with Nathan Goldberg, he spotted a weird bird sitting on the sidewalk. It was a Red-eyed Vireo. We thought it was dead at first, but we then realized it was still breathing. We put it in a box and carefully brought it back to our house. We then let it rest for a while, and in the evening, we brought it over to Columbus Park, where it flew up into the trees and started to feed. My guess is that it hit something and was stunned, and eventually recovered.
219. Prothonotary Warbler



220. American Pipit
221. Ruddy Turnstone

222. Sanderling
223. Common Tern
224. Indigo Bunting
225. Forster's Tern

226. Common Nighthawk

227. Summer Tanager




228. Orchard Oriole
229. Blackburnian Warbler


230. Kentucky Warbler
231. Eastern Wood-Pewee
232. Willow Flycatcher
233. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
234. Mourning Warbler

235. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

236. Canada Warbler
237. Bell's Vireo
This was a weird Bell's Vireo as it was perched up singing in the top of a tree when we got to Catalina Grove. The only issue was it always found a branch to hide behind.


238. Alder Flycatcher
239. Semipalmated Plover
240. Olive-sided Flycatcher

241. Chuck-will's-widow
Props to Ethan on this crazy find at Columbus Park! Photos and story here:
http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=53259.0
242. Philadelphia Vireo
243. Blue Grosbeak
Returning breeders!



244. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
245. Nelson's Sparrow
I had a ridiculous spring for these. I got my yearbird at Montrose, then a few days later, I got 3-4 of them at Miller Meadows! I thought these buggers should be a challenge :p




246. Semipalmated Sandpiper
247. Connecticut Warbler
Large numbers of these at Douglas this year. Douglas is probably in the top 3 places for these guys in Chicago.

248. Black-bellied Plover


249. White-rumped Sandpiper
While I was waiting on Montrose Beach for something good to show up, this guy magically appeared! A bunch of people got to see it, which is great, because what is the fun in finding good birds if you can't share them?



250. Acadian Flycatcher



251. Red-necked Phalarope
Wow. I can't believe I got this bird in Cook. It started off with 4 in a random little marsh in Glenview found by Carol Freeman, but then I found my own at Palatine Marsh, which is nice because the Glenview ones only stayed one day (but they were much closer).







252. Henslow's Sparrow

253. Least Bittern


254. Red Knot
Don't even get me started on this awesome quintuplet of awesome shorebirds, which were found by Wes Serafin. If you sat still on the sand, these birds would come so close to you! The flushing shot was when a lifeguard approached them, so there was no foul play on my part.






255. Black-headed Grosbeak
350 for my state list!!! This second-year male showed up at a private residence only a few miles from my house! My rarest bird yet this year.




256. Dickcissel
257. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
This adult has been wandering around South and North Pond for a few days. When my dad and I caught up to it, it was on the island in South Pond. It was spotted by my dad then.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Misc.

Clay-colored Sparrow in our yard/ Douglas Park:





Eared Grebe I found at Dewey Helmick Nature Preserve:


Pine Siskin in our yard:


Northern Mockingbird I found at Miller Meadows:

Yellow-headed Blackbird at Paul Douglas:

Red-headed Woodpecker at Montrose:

Weird Ring-billed Gull:
_________________________________________________________________________________

And that was my late April/ May/ early June in a nutshell. School got out yesterday, so I will have more free time now. I am going to post a target list tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that! Good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment